Wednesday, July 08, 2009

I don't get it.

The obsession with guns that is. Maybe it's because I grew up in a household where guns weren't even discussed or maybe it's the time as a 5yo I came out of my uncle's room holding his .357 and everyone erupted out of sheer panic. One of my earliest childhood memories, that one.

I get that for some it's a right to own one, I get that. I get that you have to protect yourself and the bigger the gun the bigger the feeling of security. I get it. What I don't get is the look someone gives you when you say you have never owned nor intend to own one. Or the look you get when you tell someone that your child does not and never will own or play with a toy gun. It's like you've gone insane.

I respect your wishes so why can't you respect mine?

No comments: